I figured that yesterday's post was a little too depressing. I didn't want ya'll to think that graphic design is a bad job to have.
It isn't. It's just one of those jobs that people don't see as a job. You would be surprised at how many people are taken back when I say I went to school to be a designer.
But in light of the fact that I am accomplishing my childhood dream of being a (monetize able) artist today, I thought I would give you some things that I personally LOVE about being a designer, and why I think it is the best job in the world. I am going to TRY and keep it to ten, because I think of new things I love every day, and this list could get long.
1) I get to make artwork. Every single day.
2) I get to hear "OMG. I love it!" when I finish a job.
3) Time goes by fast when you are doing something you enjoy doing.
4) I get to see my work on the side of trucks, on the side of buildings, on t-shirts.... (kinda vain, but it's still pretty cool.)
5) I get to solve problems in creative ways.
6) People think I can do anything with a design. I see it as a challenge. A lot at my old job I would say, "I've never done it before, but I can certainly try!"
7) I get to learn something new almost every day.
8) There is a world of inspiration out there on the internet. Some days I feel like there are so many others out there better than me, but there always will be. But I can learn from them. And maybe, someday, somehow, someone will learn from me.
9) I get to communicate in non-verbal ways. Design is communication. I am not always good at the whole small talk thing. I don't make friends easily. But I can get my message across in design.
10) My job is also my hobby. I like to come home and talk about design here. I like to play on Illustrator in my spare time. I get to love what I do, and still separate work from play. That's pretty awesome.
I hope this list doesn't make you too jealous. :P
But really, I'm sure any profession you love will have a list like this. You just have to see the good parts.
I am very glad to be graduating today. I have many people to thank for getting me here. More on that later.
But now, now we celebrate!
Congrats to all the graduates from COS and other colleges!